Keeping Up in School

The Santa Cruz shelter has gone through many stages before, during and after the pandemic caused by COVID-19. The concern is that our young people in their online classes have three main problem areas: connectivity, telephones and computers. The Scholarship Program, sustained and supported by Osman Hope, has been excellent.…

Villanueva – Starting a New Shelter

As you might remember, at the Episcopal Bishop's insistence, we closed the shelter and made sure all of the caretakers received their severance pay. We kept one caretake, Ketys Garcia, to help coordinate any activities in the Villanueva area. On Board member Ana Reid's recent visit to Honduras, she met…

English Classes

How to best assist our students given the challenges and shifting realities in Honduras continues to be a constant discussion between the Board of Directors and shelter Administrators. One idea that surged and was most welcome by all was the offering of English classes via Zoom. A bilingual fellow Honduran,…

Shelter Updates

Due to Covid, the shelters remain closed to normal operations. However, we continue to distribute food to our families as well as needy families in the areas around the shelters. We have also added the food distribution to a fifth shelter outside of Santa Cruz. We are making plans to…

Fight Poverty Fridays

Osman Students are busy becoming educated and defying their odds by becoming integral members within their communities! Did you know that the basic educational system in Honduras only covers 86.5% of school-age children, while the remaining 13.5% have no access to education? Furthermore, public education is only funded from ages 6-15.…